Diving in the code I found a few suspicious lines.

1. In the Django code, there's no mention of "repository" in this list:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/blob/6d03c8428abe9df7634bbf810bbcb63709b11d45/qgis-app/plugins/views.py#L908

2. In the QGIS code, the PluginManager seems to look for "code_repository" and not "repository".

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/4293d4f1c57614e0a4d3835b7d9f18b3a78bcbd1/src/app/pluginmanager/qgspluginmanager.cpp#L991

Hope this helps fixing it. I currently don't have time to setup the Django environment and and try fixing it myself.

Raymond