This is certainly where I would like to see manageR go someday! But unfortunately this would entail programming in C, which requires someone much more skilled than myself!
For now I simply use it instead of jumping between the two applications...
Your suggestion about displaying sp objects was a topic of discussion for the QGIS bridge2R team (of which I am a member), but we ended up putting this aside, as we felt that the average QGIS user would rather have all the R stuff happen 'behind the scenes' on their input vector layers directly, rather than knowingly interacting with R. I tend to agree with this idea for that particular project, but for manageR, displaying sp objects would be great! I think in the end this would require an ogr/gdal driver for sp objects as Barry Rowlingson has previously suggested here, and in the r-sig-geo lists.

I have started to look at some brushing and linking functions using the iPlots R package, and should hopefully be able to implement some of these things in the future...?

Carson

Agustin Lobo wrote:
Thanks Carson, just knowing that this is an R console is enough.
Now, after making a simple plot(), I'm just dreaming: if we could
display sp objects directly, not only avoiding the intermediate
shp file but being able of plotting columns of the dataframe
as statistical graphics  in R...
and soon being able to interact between the R plot and the
geographic display (a linked brushing, for example), tools
like in GeoDa but with a real GIS diaplay...

Great job!
(I'm forwarding the r-sig-geo list just for them
to know your developments)

Agus

Carson Farmer wrote:
Agustin Lobo wrote:
ok, just installed Rpy 1.0.3
(BTW, should I have uninstalled 1.02? how?)
and manageR loads
on qgis 0.10 on ubuntu hardy.
Carson, could you provide some directions on how to use it
or point me to any file with some directions?
The plugin dialog can be treated like the R console itself. So whatever commands you would type into R, you can do in manageR (just make sure you use '<-' when assigning variables etc. as manageR doesn't like you to use '='). I have an updated manageR version which, in addition to making it easier to load spatial data, also makes it very easy to save R spatial objects as shapefiles and automatically load them into QGIS. This will be up on my repository soon (I will post a notice to this list when it is).

As for directions on how to use manageR, I have not really come up with anything yet, but I will try to post something soon with a basic how to and some screen shots or something.

Hope this is enough to get you started!

Carson
Should I have R started or should I start it from within
your plugin?

Thanks!

Agus

Agustin Lobo wrote:
Hi!

Rpy 1.0.3 is available since today!
"The primary purpose of
this release is to provide support for R 2.7.0."
But no windows yet (not a problem in my case).
More on:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=7C8225C0-9810-401A-857F-1B3D6EE4E5F4%40rochester.edu&forum_name=rpy-lis

I'll let you know how it goes with it.

Agus

Carson Farmer wrote:
Agus,
Unfortunately, the latest R and Rpy versions are not compatible on Hardy, so the main repositories will be no help to you in this regard. However, there are two solutions (that I know of): 1) If you are able to, you can regress to an earlier version of R, such as 2.6.0 or 2.6.2. Rpy works fine for older versions. 2) If you don't mind a little bit of extra work, you can follow the fix posted by Diwaker Gupta (this is actually for Gutsy, but it still works...) and a few posts afterwards to get Rpy working with the latest R.

Personally, I use R 2.6.0 and Rpy 1.0.1 (though I think 1.0.2 is the most recent)

Hope this helps,

Carson
a.k.a. cfarmer on IRC