Well, I've used the same lines you sugested for minimum version.
Fixed the whole layer (actually I implemented it in a different way in the
first time, but now it should work as expected). Now if the box is checked
the first action is to select every feature in the layer.
I've started using an script to clean and pack the scripts. I didn't know
about the pyc problem.
The extent shouldn't be a problem as I inserted an updateExtents() in the
end before the zoomToSelected().
I hope now it's ok.
Maurício de Paulo