On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM, STEVENS Mike <mstev...@parks.vic.gov.au> wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has developed a plugin to allow for live tracking?
> – i.e. Have a GPS connected (either via USB or Bluetooth) and let you track
> whilst having the software open with various layers?  This would be very
> handy for real time positioning of monitoring / research plots and ground
> truthing survey points whilst out in the field.
>
> Advice greatly appreciated on 1. Has it been developed?, 2. Is the plugin
> available for MacOSx? 3. Where can I download it?

There have been some efforts, but I'm not sure if there's something
around ready to be used. In case you're ready to experiment with code,
these resources might be useful:

- a simple "navigation" plugin I started about two years ago in a
branch of QGIS. Beware, the API and build system has changed quite a
lot from that time so compiling it with recent QGIS sources won't be
painless. I've used gpsd daemon for GPS input

https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/browser/branches/Lib_Refactoring-branch/src/plugins/navigation
- a simple navigation application based on QGIS - Quantum Navigator -
but it has only GPS simulator, missing a real GPS input
  http://www.mapserver.sk/~wonder/qnavigator/

Martin