I have the FWTools version of gdal with ecw and sid support
on my ubuntu 8.04 machine:

/usr/local/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe/gdalinfo
al...@alobo-laptop:~$ /usr/local/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe/gdalinfo --formats | grep -i ECW
  ECW (rw): ERMapper Compressed Wavelets
  JP2ECW (rw+): ERMapper JPEG2000
al...@alobo-laptop:~$ /usr/local/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe/gdalinfo --formats | grep -i sid
  MrSID (ro): Multi-resolution Seamless Image Database (MrSID)

someone could modify directions in
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingFromSource#head-8e1e1ff25b5e9f587393e0592c0ff34891ec07cc

so that we know how to compile the stable version of QGIS but with the FWTools version of gdal (to have sid and ecw support in QGIS)?

I guess this implies modifying the GDAL* entries in ccmake, which by default are: GDAL_CONFIG */usr/bin/gdal-config GDAL_CONFIG_PREFER_FWTOOLS_PAT */bin_safe GDAL_CONFIG_PREFER_PATH */bin GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR */usr/include/gdal
 GDAL_LIBRARY                    */usr/lib/libgdal1.5.0.so

but dont know what to put for:
GDAL_CONFIG_PREFER_FWTOOLS_PAT GDAL_CONFIG_PREFER_PATH

Thanks

Agus

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410