(
Post didn't reach the list before... ?
)

Paolo Cavallini:
> What is needed in my view is:

> - check whether all the *region.* QGIS-GRASS modules work

> - check whether their description is correct (I guess not), and how it
> should eventually be changed

> - check whether the bug https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1645 is
> valid, or it should be closed.

Paolo & Lorenzo & Company,
I took some time to have a closer look. I don't have the time to prepare
new definitions/descriptions for the tools (as I am suggesting below). I
hope that my findings give some answers to the questions asked above.
Attached an html file with my (tomboy) notes!

Kindest regards, Nikos

Functionality
-------------

# tools that work as expected
g.region.save
g.region.zoom
g.region.multiple.raster
g.region.multiple.vector
r.region.region
r.region.raster
r.region.edge
v.in.region
v.mkgrid.region

# tools that don't work
r.region.vector # wild guess: messes up N-S and/or E-W resolution(s)
r.region.alingTo # doesn't do anything

* One important thing is that, after running some *.region.* tool, to
actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display
Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and
activate the red grass region box. Maybe this could be a point to
"improve"?

* Most tools have a "Use region of this map" button. It's unclear to me
why the button is next to the map whose region is to be altered (!)

* The "..." button does not offer the selection of multiple
raster/vector maps in the g.region.multiple.* tools

Descriptions
------------

* Most tools just show the "whole" manual as taken from GRASS

* Most tools do just a single thing

* I suggest to keep only single-definitions/sentences as descriptions
for each tool

Bug 1645
--------

Unclear to me. See my comments in trac. Maybe I don't understand the
reported "wish".
Title: Testing_*.region.*_qgis-grass_tools

Testing_*.region.*_qgis-grass_tools

Monday, June 22, 9:09 PM / Monday, June 22, 11:14 PM The *.region.* grass modules are:
  • g.region
  • r.region
  • v.in.region
  • g.region.point # this is a script
The *.region.* qgis-grass tools are:
  • g.region.save
  • g.region.zoom
  • g.region.multiple.raster
  • g.region.multiple.vector
  • r.region.region
  • r.region.raster
  • r.region.vector
  • r.region.edge
  • r.region.alingTo
  • v.in.region
  • v.mkgrid.region
Checking whether: g.region.* g.region.save: works! Comments
  • g.region.save == g.region -s
  • saved regions appear in the "Browser" tab after hitting the "Refresh" button
  • using saved regions works by selecting them and hitting the "Set current region to selected map" button
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • currently the whole g.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab.
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all parameters and flags
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what g.region.zoom does
g.region.zoom: works! Comments
  • g.region.zoom == g.region zoom=...
  • works
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • to actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and activate the red grass region box
  • currently the whole g.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab.
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all parameters and flags
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what g.region.zoom does
g.region.multiple.raster: works! Comments
  • g.region.zoom == g.region rast=name[,name,...]
  • works when typing raster map names manually
  • map name(s) should follow after comma without spaces
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • the "..." button does not offer the selection of multiple raster maps
  • to actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and activate the red grass region box
  • currently the whole g.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab.
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all flags and parameters
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what g.region.zoom does
g.region.multiple.vector: works! Comments
  • g.region.zoom == g.region vect=name[,name,...]
  • works when typing raster map names manually
  • map name(s) should follow after comma without spaces
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • the "..." button does not offer the selection of multiple vector maps
  • to actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and activate the red grass region box
  • currently the whole g.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab.
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all flags and parameters
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what g.region.zoom does
r.region.* r.region.region: works! Comments
  • r.region.region == r.region -c OR r.region -d map=... region=...
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • Not sure what is the role of "Use region of this map" button. It's supposed to be the map whose region will be altered!
  • to actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and activate the red grass region box
  • currently the whole r.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab.
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all parameters
    • keep flags (options in QGIS?) description
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what r.region.region does
r.region.raster: works! Comments
  • r.region.raster == r.region -c OR r.region -d map=... raster=...
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • Not sure what is the role of "Use region of this map" button. It's supposed to be the map whose region will be altered!
  • to actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and activate the red grass region box
  • currently the whole r.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all flags and parameters
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what g.region.zoom does
r.region.vector: DOES NOT WORK Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • Wild guess: something to do with N-S resolution & E-W resolution
r.region.edge: works! Comments
  • r.region.region == r.region -c OR r.region -d map=...
Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • Not sure what is the role of "Use region of this map" button. It's supposed to be the map whose region will be altered!
  • to actually see the "change" it is required to hit twice the "Display Current Grass Region" button (grass toolbar), that is to deactivate and activate the red grass region box
  • currently the whole r.region manual is shown in the "Manual" tab.
  • description should be changed respectively, i.e.:
    • remove all flags and parameters
    • keep only one sentence-definition of what g.region.zoom does
r.region.alingTo: DOES NOT WORK v.*.region v.in.region: works! Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
    • EXCLUDE parameters "type", "cat" flags (not applicable here) ?
v.mkgrid.region: works! Comments regarding (possibly) required changes
  • most flags and parameters not applicable!
  • currently the whole manual is shown in the "Manual" tab