    ----Messaggio originale----
    Da: m.e.d...@open.ac.uk
    Data: 20/10/2009 10.48
    A: "'qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org'"<qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org>
    Ogg: [Qgis-user] creating a point, free basemaps and going past
    180 degrees

    -->

    Three questions from someone newish to qgis:

       1. how do you put point data on a map in qgis.  This seems to
          be the simplest thing to do in most other gis systems but
          the most difficult in qgis or have I completely missed
          something.  E.g. I have a file of lat long coordinates or
          ordnance survey coordinates in an excel file and simply want
          to plot them out, how do I do that?  I have actually done it
          but only via another gis (then saving and replotting the
          resulting vector format file in qgis) or via a .kml file
          again generated elsewhere.
       2. how to get hold of free basemap outline data e.g. countries
          of the world.  I have tried very many different sources and
          still not found a nice set of data that is relatively easy
          to use.
       3. how to display and use maps that are not centred on the
          prime meridian and go past 180 degrees e.g. maps of Russia?

    This is for a project to plot records of species in Russia i.e.
    plot the location of a sighting, seems straightforward enough but
    actually turns out to be very difficult.

    Thanks

    Mike

    The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391),
    an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in
    Scotland (SC 038302).

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.