Hello Stefan,
   First; sorry about the misspelling of your name in the last posting. Second;
after some fiddling with import settings  I can load the file that you sent to
my project and get the attribute values with the identify tool. I just had to
magnify to a scale where they showed as single points and not one large colored
square. Thanks. Do you know of an easy way to display the data as contoured
increments? I am trying to use the interpolate plugin but really don't know
what I'm doing yet. I'll keep trying and hope the manual gives some good
direction.
  again, much thanks.
  J.R.