Jürgen E. Fischer claviota:
Hi Noli,

On Tue, 05. Oct 2010 at 11:58:40 +1100, Noli Sicad wrote:
if you get your own imagery you can easily install a wms server on your
machine and connect to it with qgis.

I don't  think WMS can do offline. This is the weakness of web mapping
services, if I am not mistaken, it piggyback on TC/IP protocol (i.e
without Internet connection is the services useless).

Sure it can.  It requires TCP/IP, but there always is localhost (127.0.0.1).
So you can run all those services locally without an internet connection.
I think that's what Giovanni meant (ie. install a WMS on the his local
machine).
There is an even much simpler solution, a cache that you install on your own machine. I can't remember its name. But sure, it would be helpful for people like Vincent and myself, people who go to work in places where Internet is not even a dream.
I should try to implement it on my laptop.

A+
Pierre

Jürgen

Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
   Mesté Duran
   32100 Condom
 Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
               05 62 28 06 83
                06 37 80 33 64
 Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
 icq#   :   10432285
 skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
 http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue