Hi Phil,

In another thread Alexander Bruy gave a good tip to install python Windows packages in OGGeo4W:

Namely, you download the package exe file and open it with 7-zip (freeware).
7-zip will display folders and files inside the exe file.
You simply have to find the correct folder and the .egg file (if any) and extract them to the python package folder in the OSGeo4W installation tree keeping the folder structure of the exe file.

It has worked for me on many occasions. Try it on the R packages and see if it helps...

HTH,
Benoit