I have a data set that I'm trying to interpolate, and in some cases there
are large swaths of area that are surrounded by points, but don't contain
any points.  This produces a graph where these interior regions have values
determined by the nearest points.

Rather than assuming that these points are accurately represented by the
surrounding points, I would prefer to not render those grid points, and only
show grid boxes which are actually representative of data.  Is there a way
to do this?  I was thinking I could add second field and assign opacity to
that, but I can't figure out a way to get the field to be 'true' if there
are points enclosed and 'false' otherwise (or to simply count the number of
enclosed points.)

Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions!