On 30/11/2010 23:49, Ezra Boyd wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am working with shoreline survey shapefile from Gulf of Mexico Oil spill, and I need help in figuring out to deal with overlapping line segments.  For example, a section of shoreline might have been coded as "Moderate" on one day, but then coded as "Heavy" when surveyed a second time at a later date.  I need to sum the length of shoreline for each category, but in a manner that counts each shoreline segment only once.  Is there a tool that can remove overlapping line segments from a shapefile?

There are ways to deal with overlapping lines (probably using the GRASS plugin), but you'll have to explain how you (or the program) decide, for each stretch of shoreline that was surveyed more than once, which survey to use.

Thank You,
Ezra

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

--
Micha Silver
http://www.surfaces.co.il/