On 2010-12-29 20:40, Germán Carrillo wrote:
I think you just need to set the qgis_prefix variable this way:

qgis_prefix = "/usr"

Regards,

Germán

Hello!

Bingo! Before starting the demo-app doing a "export QGISHOME=/usr" on the console did it! Thanks a lot! Now, on the next steps... :)

best wishes from Austria,
Albin

--
| Albin Blaschka, Mag.rer.nat.
| Etrichstrasse 26, A-5020 Salzburg
| * www.albinblaschka.info * www.thinkanimal.info *
| - It's hard to live in the mountains, hard but not hopeless!

2010/12/29 Albin Blaschka <albin.blasc...@standortsanalyse.net
<mailto:albin.blasc...@standortsanalyse.net>>

    Hello!

    I just started to experiment for writing a stand-alone app based on
    the QGIS-Libraries and Python, following the example
    http://desktopgisbook.com/Creating_a_Standalone_GIS_Application_1
    and the PyQGIS Developer Cookbook

    Based on the Starting Kit for a plugin and on the
    QGIS-Python-Console, everthing is working as expected, but the
    example for the Standalone-App I just get "Failed to load" when I
    want to load a shapefile (the window and the dialog open fine),
    which otherwise as noted above loads just fine...
    I get no other error message as the "failed to load"...
    (I am using the downloaded version of the Shapeviewer-Demo-App, I
    have it attached)

    I am on Kubuntu 10.04.1, Lucid Lynx,
    QGIS (1.6) and related stuff installed from
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu lucid main
    PYTHONPATH=/usr/share/qgis/python
    Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:57:41)

    What am I missing?

    I tried from the Python-Console from within QGIS (where everthing
    works) to print PYTHONPATH, but did only get "None" (with print
    os.getenv("PYTHONPATH"))

    I am also a Python-Newbie, btw...

    Thank you in advance...

    Albin