I would mainly make sure you have enough RAM and an OS that can benefit of the additional RAM. I would recommend at least 4GB RAM, better 8.

Linux 64bit should be able to use the additional RAM, the Win32 QGIS cannot use more than 2 or 3GB. As far as I know there is no 64bit Windows version available.

If you can afford the SSD it certainly helps. I have a new Macbook Pro with a SSD running on Ubuntu 64bit. It is very fast, but expensive.

Andreas