yes - and this should also work for all OS - not just, Windows, Linux or OSX.

Thanks,
Andreas

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:44:54 +0200, Giuseppe Sucameli wrote:
Hi all,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neum...@carto.net> wrote:
It would be nice, however, to have a new data type in the fields parameters named "URL/URI" which would automatically open the browser, either inline
(through webkit) or by opening the systems default webbrowser.

just set the action type to python and then use pyQT :)

The following python code should open the file pointed by %FIELD
with the default application (e.g. an image viewer):

from PyQt4.QtCore import QUrl; from PyQt4.QtGui import
QDesktopServices; QDesktopServices.openUrl( QUrl.fromLocalFile(%FIELD)
);

The next one will get an url instead, so if %FIELD contains
http://www.qgis.org it should open the web browser:

from PyQt4.QtCore import QUrl; from PyQt4.QtGui import
QDesktopServices; QDesktopServices.openUrl( QUrl(%FIELD) );

It's easy, isn't it? :)
Regards.

Andreas