I experienced exactly the same as Viktor when trying to open the WMS
http://adour-garonne.eaufrance.fr/servicesOGC

Starting up again I intended to preset the project CRS and clicked
"Settings", "Project Properties" and Qgis broke down again.

Restarting one more time I could now click "Settings", "Project Properties"
and select a WGS84 as CRS. Then I could open the WMS
http://adour-garonne.eaufrance.fr/servicesOGC.

Since that it appears I can open WMS as it should also with out presetting
the CRS.

I can also open Viktors WMS http://www.temakart-rogaland.no/wms.aspx?

It could be something about the CRS tables as suggested by other user?

Viktor Kalén wrote

> I've tried to test your service, but it comes up without CRS, and when
> I try to change CRS, QGIS crashes...  :-)
> Viktor

-----
Regards Morten

Qgis 1.7.4 Stand alone installer in Win7 64 bit