I think he was asking about zooming in on the whole composer layout, not
changing the scale of a map on the composer layout.
Personally I think it would be good to have most of the same zoom tools
available in the composer as in the main QGIS window (obviously "zoom to layer"
wouldn't make sense in the composer).  I thought there was a ticket for this,
but I can't find it now...

Alister