I had problems with joins with non-spatial data and the not too userfriendly
vector opertaions, and this mainly with students.

Our solution so far: we use spatialite as backend for students (postgis isn't
that easy when lots of external data needs to be joined). It works great:

- The initial spatialite db was created using ogr2ogr from our postgis server.
- joining data is done in spatialite, with the spatialite-gui tool
- new x,y data is created in spatialite too, just link to a file, use the
makepoint function, done
- spatial operations are performed in spatialite (some tricks needed, once you
know, works great)

QGIS is used for visualisation and some basic operations.

The combination of both products works well for us.

Kris Nackaerts

-------- Original-Nachricht --------