Hi there,
in Germany, we still quite often have Gauss-Krüger 4 projection for the source data from clients, formerly edited with ArcGIS.
QGIS obviously has some problems with GK4 (EPSG:31468)
When i import a shape with a .prj-file from ArcGIS, it doesn't promt for the crs, but immediately loads the shape. The tricky think is: if you do not check the crs manually every time, you run into chaos, cause QGIS always sets the crs to "Pulkovo 1942(83) / Gauss Krueger zone 4 (deprecated)" (EPSG:2167) which has quite an offset to the other crs.

I'm quite confident that it's not a problem of the prj-file from ArcGIS, cause when i import a GK4-Layer into GRASS, there set the crs to GK4 as well, do my stuff and then send it back the result to QGIS, there the former EPSG 31468-Layer again is set to EPSG 2167 too !!!

Has anyone an idea how to prevent this or what's the reason for this?
It's really annoying and quite hard to explain to clients to check everytime the crs when they load a layer file.

Greetz
Bernd

QGIS 1.74, osgeo4w on Win7 64bit