In a layer I have, e.g., a map of a number of areas of a country. Each area
has a row in the attribute table and a associated polygon. Each area also
has a number of fields with numerical values. Is there a way to merge the
areas based on a field value and sum the respective values of another field?
Like dissolve but instead just replacing fields of the merged polygons, I
would like to sum them up. I guess this operation must be applicable in a
number of cases, maybe when summing up inhabitants in different areas but
with the same zip code. However, I can't find a way to do it.