I know sextante from gvSIG already, and i think its main idea is, to provide a toolbox like in ArcGIS. The current plugin/functions management in QGIS is a bit "chaotic", in the 1.9-version, the plugins are much better sorted according to their scope already.

But the sextante-concept seems to be even more user friendly from the start (with search function , functions sorted into trees, not having to fumble through menus and sub-menus when repeating functions) Of course, like with all software functions, you will have to learn how to use them by testing.

I have really no idea whats technically behind it, and how good it will integrate into QGIS, or just represents a concurring concept, but i would prefer the sextante-way to become the default one in qgis.
Ok, then QGIS will just look like another ArcGIS, but what ? ;)

Having kind of model-builder coming with it will be also great news for a lot of people having to perform boring repetitive work all the time.

In one word: GREAT ! ;)

Bernd
Hi
Would it be possible to give a 10 000 mile overview of what Sextante does?
There is quite a mixture of skill levels in this group and I for one am
certainly not well versed into all the tools of the trade. I appreciate the
announcement as it provides exposure to possible future tools that could
be useful to me, but I believe that for the benefit of your tool/product it
is in your interest to bring us less well versed people up to speed. This
mailing list in some respects is like a tv channel with a thread like this
being an advertisement. If I have to go and read about a product to
understand what it does after having seen a tv advert then it has failed. I
should not be doing reading to understand what the product does but should
be reading to get a better understanding of how the product can be
applicable to my specific problem.

I did try to read the manual and view a few of the youtube videos in the
sextante channel but am still non the wiser.

Regards