Hi Mike,

Google Fuzion Tables makes this very easy (at least for the U.S.)
First you upload the your list of addresses into Google Doc's, then
you open it up as a Fuzion Table.  Then under the Visualize tool,
select Map.  This will display your points in a Google Maps like
environment.  It also lets you download and save the points as a .kml
file (which you can open in QGIS).

It has been a while since I have done this, so I don't know how it has
changed with the new Google Drive.

Hope it helps!

Ezra