On 07/13/2012 06:10 PM, Jaime Palalane wrote:
Thank you for this prompt reply. One additional question. Is there any quick way to get a hipsometric curve or area values between different altitude intervals from a DEM representing my basin?

I don't know about quick, but here are a few GRASS modules that you might find helpful.

r.reclass can create a new raster from the original DEM broken into steps that you specify. So you could create a raster with elevation steps of, say, 50 meters. Now run r.stats -a on that raster and you'll get a list of the total area for each value. This list could be imported into any other software (spreadheet) to calculate the accumulated areas for each elevation step.

Another option could be to use r.contours to create contour lines at whatever interval is suitable. (There is also the GDAL Tool gdal_contour in QGIS, under Raster->Extraction). Now merge the contour lines with the basin boundary to form closed boundaries around each elevation "strip", and convert into polygons. And finally, in GRASS use the v.rast.stats module to calculate several statistics for each elevation polygon.

Regards,
Micha

Jaime