On 07/24/2012 07:07 PM, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
On 2012/07/24 17:39, Micha Silver wrote:
On 07/24/2012 06:34 PM, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
On 2012/07/24 17:29, Andre Joost wrote:
Am 24.07.2012 17:21, schrieb Micha Silver:

I think the problem is the attribute column name begins with a digit. Look what
happens when I rename my column from above to 21Name:

In the Qgis query form, no error is produced, but all elements are 'found' after renaming the field name to another beginning with numbers.
Do you mean all 1.1m, or my subset of 545663 records that start with C016?
Can't find anywhere in QGis to change the fields name :-(

Use the Table Manager plugin. (or just open the dbf in OpenOffice and change *only* the name of the column)
Which is the Table Manager plugin? I'm just browsing QGIS plugins repository and cannot see anything like this.

I tried with OpenOffice 3.3 on both 64 & 32 bit Win 7, but the job disappears and task manager shows that it is just eating up memory (over 600MB after 10 minutes, and climbing).

Oh sorry, you said 1M polys. That's way too much for OpenOffice. Sorry for misleading...

Well, back to my first idea: Move into a spatialite DB?

Here's a page of the "Spatialite Cookbook" that explains exactly how to SELECT a set of features into a new table, and export the selected features back to a new shapefile.

http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/spatialite-cookbook/html/impexp.html

Briefly:
# Create a new DB:
spatialite erf.sqlite
# You are now in the sqlite interface. To load a shapefile:
> .loadshp /mnt/geo_lvm0/SGO_cadastral/200909/WC/Erf erf LATIN1 <SRID>

# *You'll have to set the correct EPSG code as the SRID above for the shapefile,
# and choose the appropriate encoding.
*
# Create new table for the selected polys
*> CREATE TABLE zerf (*
*> PK_UID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,*
*# add all the other columns you need from the original*
*> "DigitKey21" Text,*
*> );*
*# Now make it spatial
> SELECT AddGeometryColumn('zerf', 'Geometry', <SRID>, 'MULTIPOLYGON', 'XY');*
*

# And Insert SELECTed rows into the new table
> INSERT INTO zerf (DigitKey21, ..., ..., Geometry)
> (SELECT 21DigitKey, ...,..., Geometry) FROM erf
> WHERE 21DigitKey LIKE 'CO16%';

# Finally export to shapefile
> .dumpshp zerf Geometry zerf_filtered LATIN1

#Should create a shapefile "zerf_filtered.shp" in current directory

HTH,
Micha
*
Thanks,

Greetings,
André Joost

Micha Silver
GIS Consultant, Arava Development Co.
http://www.surfaces.co.il

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323www.geograph.co.za

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.