Noli, Thanks for your reply, but ... OK I downloaded a .tar file, eventually I got a folder dist/xlrd-0.8.0/scripts and dist/xlrd-0.8.0/doc & examples and 1000s of words of Python documentation stuff.
I have no idea what to do with what I downloaded. What to I put where to get
QGIS XYtools to read Excel files?

Sorry don't mean to be dense/difficult but I have no background in Python, and
if that is not required I am missing out otherwise. I am not aware of any other
documentation that explains these kinds of issues with plugins.

Thanks for your help -

Richard