Hi all,

I have a question about the 'join by location' tool in ftools. Let's say I've got two polygon layers : a layer of provinces with the population for each province, and a layer of regions, each region resulting in the fusion of several provinces. Now I want to know the total population for each region, so I use the 'join by location' tool with my two layers, ticking the 'sum' box. My problem is that this tool takes into account for each region every province that has a common limit with the region : obviously that includes provinces not in the region, and it doesn't do what I want. Hope my example is clear.

I can see that behaving this way can be useful in some cases, but I think what I'm trying to do is also pretty standard stuff. Do you know if this is normal behaviour? Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using QGIS 1.8.0.

Thanks a lot,

Julie.