Am 06.11.2012, 18:50 Uhr, schrieb Etienne Tourigny <etourigny....@gmail.com>:

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Bernd Vogelgesang
<bernd.vogelges...@gmx.de> wrote:
ahh, life is not easy ;)

so, there were already tickets to that stuff it seems, and also mailing list
entries.
But there seems to be a problem with me or the hole system, that i was not
able to find them AND draw conclusions.

1. You have to know what to search for when qgis simply crashes silently ...
plop!
2. The amount of entries in both the tracker and the mailing list

"Ordinary" users have really no chance digging through all this tech-talk,
but have a corrupted system anyway.
But i have no real idea how to solve this myself.
Maybe having by a system, where messages can easily be flagged by users for "importance", so when a thread starts "Hey hello, this update will kill qgis if you do not set this animal to this version and that beast to that" its likely that this message will be washed up, even if only few people have sth
to contribute as reply .. i mean, simply that "modern" stuff that is
available out there ...
will spend some time thinking on this ... :)

There can be no such system, when bugs are yet unknown.

well, i didn't state that. i just brainstormed about sth that if there are common problems, they do not get drowned in the masses of email-blubbering. Otherwise all people affected by a problem would have to send a stupid mail like "me toooo!", so the thread is always on top in your mail account, but to the price that you have 90% of "me toooo!"'s and 10% of helpful text.

My current problem must have started approx. a week ago, and also everyone installing a new qgis or updating an existing one AND working with at least mrsid or GRASS must have been affected.

I myself think, that there can't be any system with at least some logic being less helpful than such mailing lists, cause they have exactly 0% of extra logic (tagging, rating, subscribing, flagging all this horrible and too modern 10+x-year-old stuff no-one here seems to want to touch).

Bernd Vogelgesang * Siedlerstrasse 2 * 91083 Baiersdorf * +49-9133-825374