As long as *all* your project and data is in EPSG:27700, you will not see any difference. But as soon as you add Google or openstreetmap tiles with openlayersplugin, or data from other sources in other CRS, the +towgs84 datum shift parameters comes into effect. The values used up to QGIS 1.7.4 were quiet good, QGIS 1.8.0 sadly returned to some low-accuracy parameters. For best accuracy, OS has issued a ntv2 grid file.

The .prj file by ESRI does not have any information on datum shift values incorporated. Mainly because there are several choices to do the transformation with different accuracy and complexity, as stated above.

HTH,
André Joost