I ran your data, it worked fine for me. Yes initially it all looks 1 color. After going into the Properties. choosing to use Custom Min/Max values, Selecting to Load from Actual, and stretching min/max. I can see the data no problem.

I can see why sampling randomly with the info tool won't work, since you need to click info exactly where a river line occurs.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/52841

Thanks,
Alex