Hi Leo,

QGIS is far from being optimal for mobile solutions currently. I hope
this can be improved with future versions. There is an effort going on
for QGIS an Android. See http://android.qgis.org/ and
http://android.qgis.org/download/qgis-for-android.pdf

Personally - if you do a lot of data input (esp. with text) - I would
use a small laptop or notebook - not a tablet. The virtual keyboards are
way inferior to physical keyboards. The other thing is that QGIS desktop
UI is not yet optimized for touch usage. It may work - sort of - but is
certainly not a good user experience.

If you deal primarily with point data and want to use a phone/table -
you may want to have a look at Nextgis mobile - see the email thread
starting here:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2013-July/023123.html - it
will collaborate with QGIS and is more user-friendly and light-weight.

Don't get me wrong - I hope that QGIS improves in mobile space - and
work has already started. And I would appreciate if more
people/organizations would put work or financial resources into
improving it. But if you look for a good and quick solution now - you
will probably be disappointed.

------

To answer some of your other questions: You can also attach a form to
non-geometry table. You can then open the form by right-clicking a row
in the attribute table - again - this may be a bad experience on a
touch-device, where the rows in the table may be too small and you would
probably have to long-click as there is no right-click.

BTW: why do you have the impression that only Windows tablets would
work? You can also use Linux/Ubuntu based tablets or Android tablets.
The Android version still needs some further improvements/testing.

Panasonic does good outdoor tablets:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughpad/us/best-android-rugged-tablet-overview.asp

Hope this helps. I would love to see the mobile input improved in QGIS.

Andreas