Hi,

Buffers for points are round. There are also round corners for line/polygon buffers, depending on the linecap styles and line join styles. QGIS and simple features can only display straight lines. The number of the segements to approximate means the higher the number, the more vertices you will have for a circle approximation.

See also http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.1/ST_Buffer.html as an explanation for buffer styles and segments.

Andreas