On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Jürgen E. <j...@norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Etienne,
>
> On Wed, 05. Mar 2014 at 18:26:51 -0300, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
> > Jurgen - would it be possible to use ubuntugis for stable builds on
> qgis.org,
> > instead of standard ubuntu dependencies?
>
> Obviously.  There are master builds that are built based on ubuntugis and
> raring.

I mean the stable release (2.2 in this case), not the master builds.

> > I don't see the point in installing a recent QGIS with old dependencies
> > (like gdal).
>
> Ok, but what's the point in running a distribution that is effectively
> discontinued (including ubuntugis)?

Not all of us have the luxury, time and inclination to update our linux
installation, but want to upgrade to latest stable QGIS + gdal.  And using
the master builds is not great in a stable environment.

It's a shame non-lts ubuntu releases are supported for such a short period
by ubuntugis.

Hence the need to have stable qgis releases in qgis.org, with updated
dependencies from ubuntugis.

thanks,
Etienne