From: qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Matthias Kuhn
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:58 PM
To: qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [Qgis-user] Crowdfunding Project: Automated tests for QGIS

Dear QGIS users,

I started a crowd-funding campaign for automated unit tests in QGIS. Please
consider to help funding this project in order to improve the software and code
quality in the long run. More details can be found on the project page and in
the text below.

http://blog.vitu.ch/10102014-1046/crowdfunding-initiative-automated-testing

I plan to improve the quality of QGIS sustainably by introducing the automatic
execution of test procedures which will inform responsible developers
automatically in case of failure. Your support for this project is highly
welcome and you can contribute to make QGIS more stable in the long run. To
implement the necessary changes as well as repairing currently broken tests a
minimal amount of CHF 5000.- will be required. The following paragraphs will
describe the project in more detail.

----------

In the last years, QGIS matured from a hobby project to a serious alternative
with a broad scope of possibilities and a great potential.

With the constant addition of new features new possibilities have been created
and still are created. Every new feature means changes to the source code of
the software and is a potential source of errors.

There are possibilities to automatically detect errors. This is done by
executing a series of operations with known result. If a operation does not
return the desired (known) result something went wrong and it needs to be
evaulated why.

QGIS has currently over 100 different tests. However, these are not run
regularly and nobody realizes when tests fail. This led to the situation, that
at the moment approximately 2/3 of the tests do not report success and nobody
knows why and since when.

I intend to take the following measures to ensure that in the future tests no
longer can silently fail:

* tests will be run on all source code changes in master (main development
branch)

* tests will be run on all pull requests (changes being evaluated for
integration in master)

* if tests fail the responsible developers will be notified by mail

* with symbols, the current state of the tests will be indicated

With this system it is possible to react instantaneously when tests fail and to
revert the responsible changes or to not even integrate these.

To make sure that this system works and is accepted, it is important to start
with a working suite of tests. How much time it takes to fix all tests is
difficult to say. The plan is therefore to fix as many tests with the available
funds and to disable the rest of the tests in the first time. Therefore
additional funds that are provided on top of the required minimum CHF 5000.-
will be very welcome for additional working tests.

It would be great if this crowd-funding effort could help to get this project
to fly.

Kind regards,
Matthias Kuhn

This message has been scanned for viruses by
MailControl<http://www.mailcontrol.com/>, a service from BlackSpider Technology

Click
here<https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/h0opETQ15z7GX2PQPOmvUgny0!6zNmYYcr+CLPtUcwBrcg72XoIMJrYkKSbFUrl7COZlUrWwm5I94h7CChK4GQ==>
 to report this email as spam.

________________________________

HR Wallingford and its subsidiaries uses faxes and emails for confidential and
legally privileged business communications. They do not of themselves create
legal commitments. Disclosure to parties other than addressees requires our
specific consent. We are not liable for unauthorised disclosures nor reliance
upon them.
If you have received this message in error please advise us immediately and
destroy all copies of it.

HR Wallingford Limited
Howbery Park, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 8BA, United Kingdom
Registered in England No. 02562099