Hi Chuck,

Is the problem file raster or vector?

The fact that QGIS is getting the on-the-fly transformation right for 3 files
but not the 4th suggests there’s something peculiar about the spatial reference
for that 4th file. Are you sure all 4 user defined files have gone through the
same set of processes?

Thinking about things I would do…

1) Check the meta-data and/or with the data provider to determine whether your
problem file has been treated differently. Obtain the correct CRS details from
your data provider if the file is a special case. You can then define the CRS
on import (with on-the-fly switched off).

2) If you don’t have a means to find out what sort of processing these files
have already gone through you could try and predict what the correct CRS for it
would be. I’m not too familiar with US mapping but I understand that each state
can have it’s own CRS (?). Maybe a muddle has occurred and you problem file has
been given he wrong CRS in this way.

If the file is very big I would also maybe re-save a selection to give a file
that’s easier to work with. Then try and troubleshoot on this small file.

Can’t think of anything else off hand. Hope that helps get you towards a
solution. Let us know how you get on.

MR