Am 17.03.2015 um 07:08 schrieb Evert Groenewald:
Installed Qgis 2.8.1 last week on XP. Had problems with 32 bit net
install, so used 32 bit stand alone installer. Don't know what
happened during net install as I had to leave the computer during
install process, but the result was a incomplete install. Qgis not
present after install but Grass was present.

Please look into the postinstall.log for any error messages.

My XP version started with error messages because of msvcrt version conflicts. Deleting the msvcr90.dll from windows/system32 solved the issue. See <http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/72506/how-to-fix-runtime-error-r6034-an-application-has-made-an-attempt-to-load-th-c> if you run into that.

Cleaning the PATH variable might help too.

HTH,
André Joost