Hi Tom,

Plugins should work smoothly between the 32bit and 64bit QGIS version, as Python is a scripting language and compiled/recompiled when necessary (the pyc versions are the binary versions of the python files). There is more problems for plugins when moved between different QGIS versions, esp. when there are API differences. You can also use the same plugins/python files on other OS (fe. Linux and OSX) if the plugin author did not use anything operating system dependent.

Greetings,
Andreas