Hi Daniel,

I have not made that kind of conversion for a while now, probably back to QGIS 1.5.

At that time, dxf2shp didn't keep any 3D information indeed.
- v.in.dxf in GRASS worked well;
- if you have a raster, extracting contours with the QGIS "interpolate" command was succesfull too (a workaround could then be to create a raster using your contours lines, and then back to the contour lines with interpolate).

Hope this helps,

Paul