Am 04.08.2015 um 06:20 schrieb Nathan Woodrow:
Mainly because on windows the package is all standalone and ECW is included
in that package. So you just install and it should just work out of the
box.  I have had working ECW support since 1.8 or before, only a small time
at 2.0 where we (us developers) got a bit confused with the WCW licence but
that was cleared up by ERDAS and it's worked out of the box ever since.
The same should be for Linux but I suspect the package systems add some
complication to that.

Yes, it is mostly a packaging problem. The ubuntugis unstable repository contains an ecw package that works with GDAL 1.10 up to Ubuntu 13.04. Until now, nobody managed to build it for GDAL 1.11 and newer ubuntugis releases.

It was already asked on the gdal-dev and ubuntugis mailing lists:

<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/gdal-dev-Issues-building-ECW-JP2ECW-driver-as-a-plugin-on-Ubuntu-td5156322.html>

<http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2014-August/001154.html>

but unfortuantely noone could give a better workflow than my workaround (which works for 14.04, but does not add python support).

Greetings,
André Joost