Hi,

general: read the documentation on projections, be sure to know what projections are and what they are used for.

specific: both your project and your data have a projection (spatial reference system). Cases:
1) both match => you're ok
2) both differ => QGIS can reproject the data on-the-fly => you're ok
3) the projection assigned to the data is wrong (I assume this is your case but without more info on what you do nobody can tell). Tell QGIS in layer properties which projection your data is in (the prj and qpj files do just that), then goto either case 1 or case 2

hope this helps

Bernhard