Emilio,

Please reply to the QGIS users list so others will benefit from the discussion. :)

Your next reading would probably be the QT4 and PyQt4 documentation for the SQL database classes.
QT4 is the c++ version of the code.

PyQt4 is the python wrappers around QT4.

While you will be coding in python, the c++ documentation may be helpful and clearer to read.

Google has been my friend.  :)

Here are a few links to get you started.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/sql-connecting.html
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/index.html
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt4/qsqldatabase.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7669987/what-is-the-correct-way-of-qsqldatabase-qsqlquery

I'm sorry don't have an example available at the moment. I cannot promise I'll find the time to put one together.

*Worth Lutz*