Hi Carlos:
I'd like to add that I tried Andre's procedure from the StackExchange post (on a couple of Mint 17 machines) and it worked fine.
Compiling the ERDAS SDK was OK. I set the link to the required lib version as he explained.
Then I downloaded the older libgdal-ecw-src deb, opened it up and compiled as he wrote. Now I've got read access to ECW's.