Hi Jachym,

If WMS works (from the same project) and even GetPrint works, it shouldn't be the problem of the XServer or the DISPLAY variable.

The XServer is required for printing as PDF (getPrint) and I believe also for rendering SVG symbols or patterns. X-Server (or an X-Server replacement, such XVNC) is required for QGIS Server - even if it is quite uncommon that an X-Server runs on a machine that also runs the Webserver.

BTW: you should never put your .qgs project files in a path readable by the Webserver, but always outside. Just because you list /var/www/html - which is often the Server Root.

.qgs files may contain sensitive information (such as db connections, passwords, etc.) and it shouldn't be downloadable from a web client.

Andreas