Hi Brent,

not sure if I uttered that before, so (if I did) my apologies for repeating myself. If you are entirely on PostgreSQL you may try my Plugin DataDrivenInputMask [1]. If you have properly defined foreign keys you can
1) see the species caught in one station in a list [2]
2) search for (and thus select) stations where certain species have been caught
I assume
a) a station table with pk field station_pk
b) a species table with pk field species_pk
c) a relation table with a combined pk = station_pk + species_pk, where station_pk is a fk on station.station_pk and species_pk is a fk on species.species_pk

Regarding symbology you may filter your station layer like that:
station_pk IN (SELECT station_pk FROM relation_table where species_pk = some_value) You would need to load your station layer several times and filter each of them on one (or several) species for symbolization.

Another way would be to use PostgreSQL's crosstab extension and create a view for symbolization only which would list all the species in one dataset like that
station_pk, geom, station_name, species_1, species_2,...,species_n
You could then classify on the combinations

Bernhard

[1] http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/DataDrivenInputMask/
[2] https://github.com/bstroebl/DataDrivenInputMask/wiki/Widgets-for-n-2-m-Relations