On 23/06/16 08:30, Uwe Fischer wrote:

Hello List,

what is the use of variables in print composer? A map frame has variables assigned like map_extent_height and _width. But how to make use of those variables? If I try to place a rectangle around the map frame using the determined extent variables (plus something), I cannot use the variables. There is a ‚data defined override‘ section in the Position and size dialog for rectangles, but when I select ‚variable‘ it tells me that there are no variables, which seems to be nonsense.

Best regards, Uwe

Uwe,

When you select a Data_defined_override in Position and size, pick edit from the list instead of variable. In the Expression string builder you will find map_extent_height in the Variables list.

Regards
Martin