I would like to use QGIS as a visual / interactive front to some PostGIS data
and am not sure what the best route to doing so is. Happy to explore further
myself, but wanted to get some input on what needs to be joined up to get
started on building a little process.

Basically, if I wanted to present a map of features and have a button (like the
attribute information one) which a user would click then use to select
features, I want this to run a SQL query which to get related features for
example and highlight them on the map view, possibly pan to the extent of the
newly selected feature set.

Does this sound like a plugin - or would that be taking things too far?

Would the best way for the dynamic layer to be setup, to be a view - empty
except when populated by the query and styled to be dominant over the full set
of features?

As a simple example, say I had a district zone system of polygons and I wanted
a user to be able to click on any polygon, and have all the neighbouring
polygons highlighted, centred and fill the map view as fully as possible. What
would be the best / simplest approach to this?

Graeme

This message has been scanned for malware. This message and any attachments
(the "message") are confidential, intended solely for the addressees, and may
contain legally privileged information. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Neither our company or
any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if
altered, changed or falsified.
Ce message a ete verifie et ne contient pas de programme malveillant. Ce
message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont confidentiels
et susceptibles de contenir des informations couvertes par le secret
professionnel. Ce message est etabli a l'intention exclusive de ses
destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite. Tout
message electronique est susceptible d'alteration. Notre societe et ses
filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de ce message s'il a ete
altere, deforme falsifie.