Earlier I was trying to figure out why Composer wanted to export raster files, and I wanted vector. I finally reduced my 'map' to the raster base map and one local shape file, Roads. With this I found that selecting the layer Roads and using "Set Project CRS to this Layer" was causing Composer to default to raster output. A clue!

I had noticed that the raster base map rotated 2 or 3 degrees CW when I used "Set Project CRS to this Layer", above. I also noticed that in Composer, if I had not used "Set Project CRS to this Layer", placing a UTM grid on my map resulted in the grid being rotated 2 or 3 degrees CCW. So, it appears that the grid is based on the base map?

In reading today's posts, I noted mention of Georeferencer. Digging into this, the tutorials, etc seemed to require having another input, to compare points. I thought I might be able to accomplish this by comparing my Roads layer with the raster map.

I loaded my local Roads shape file into a new canvass in QGIS and my raster base map into Georeferencer. I would click a particular intersection in georeferencer and it would produce the 'enter coordinates' or 'get from map' options. Selecting the latter, it switched to the map canvass and I could zoom in and click the same intersection. This would send me back to the previous menu where the coordinates were filled in and I would select OK. I did this on 4 points. On the fourth point, I noted the red line angled 2 or 3 degrees CW, but quite long.

I saved the points in a file and Started Georeferencing. The completed raster base map came up on the QGIS canvass, along with the Roads shape file.

What I saw did not please me. In some places, the Roads were now falling at least 1/2 kilometer off from the base map road locations. This put them in creek ravines and other hillshade elements. The results were unusable for my purposes.

When I had used "Set Project CRS to this Layer", the Roads layer fell onto the roads on the raster map. Streams fell onto their ravines.

Maybe I have to get another base map? Or maybe my georeferencing method was faulty?

Stephen