Hi Alex,

I often too have to transform gpx files to or from sh files and I never managed to make it work properly with qgis (sorry that's not very constructive, but that's a fact).

After reading some of the answers you got, I re-tested it and I still cannot create a file with qgis version 2.18.4 which can open with basecamp or mapsource, both refuse to open it. Notepad++ shows an xml file (sh file saved as a gpx). I don't know what is wrong. Happy to help and test further but i have no idea how.

My (quick and personal) workaround is to use dnrgps. It's a free little tool which does the trick.

Cheers
Laurence Béchet