Ciao Nikos

Thank you for your comments. I do also have the vegetation types as
independent layers (there are 15 in all). I could of course produce the
result that I need by using Intersect, but this can only be done with
two layers at a time. Although some layers do not overlap, there are
many overlaps and performing this analysis two layers at a time would
be complicated (especially as in a few cases there are more than two
layers overlapping). What I was hoping to find is a way to do intersect
on either (a) many layers together, or (b) of polygons within a single
layer.

Your suggestion to rasterize the 15 layers and work from this is one
possibility (although I haven't thought it through).

There is a grass tool v.patch in the QGIS processing toolbox ('Create a
new vector map layer by combining other vector map layers'). I thought
this would do the trick but it presents an error message near the end
of the process.

Thanks, Martino