Hi all,

I’m working with (1) a CSV file containing columns of “lat” and “lon” which
represent grid cell centroids from a gridded model product over California
(“loca_lat_lon.csv”), and (2) a shape file that carves up California into 12
distinct subregions (“CC4a_RegionsSub.shp”).

These files can be accessed here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IUrpVSJYBRIoCS4vzGYK9sBEzdwZec-c?usp=sharing

I am trying to determine which grid cells reside in each of the 12 subregions
(or NA/NULL if outside all subregions) using Vector -> Data Management Tools ->
Join Attributes by Location. I have specified my Target vector layer as
loca_lat_lon.csv, the Join vector layer as CC4a_RegionsSub.shp, the Geometric
predicate as “intersects”, and am taking attributes of the first located
feature, and only keeping matching records.

The issue is that the returned joined layer assigns just 1 of the 12
subregions, “Sierra Nevada Mountains”, to all grid cells, rather than different
subregions (or None) to the cells.

The shape file has a CRS of NAD83/California Albers and the coordinates in the
CSV file are simply WGS 84. I’ve tried resetting the latter CRS to
NAD83/California Albers, but the same issue persists.

I’m using QGIS 2.18.14.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Neil