I think that is the problem.  Towards the bottom of my original email I
mentioned that I had only installed python3.6 (from the official source) but
not the other options (GUI, command line, pip etc).  I had not realized that
any of those were necessary.  I’ll try to reinstall python with pip, then
reinstall gdal, and see how that goes….

Interesting.  Now, instead of 4 different error boxes on startup, I just get
two:

Couldn't load plugin 'processing'
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'psycopg2'
and

Couldn't load plugin 'MetaSearch' due to an error when calling its
classFactory() method
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'owslib'

Perhaps there is some other piece missing as well?  Do either of those core
plugins require the python UNIX command line, or GUI stuff?

So, making some progress…

thanks,

--Adam